Thursday, April 14, 2011

Oh What A Night


So I attended the Griffith Alumni Awards night tonight, which presented the very first alumni awards to games students (^_^). Our course convenor Matt Ditton advised we go, mainly for the sake of being the first alumni graduates in games design, plus the chance of networking, plus the free food and booze.

And I'm glad I only had the one beer, because Matt managed to introduce me to Peter Yong, a concept artist that had previously worked with him at Pandemic, and has since worked for other companies around Australia after graduating as an animator at the very same uni I'm attending at now. A really cool guy with a great art style (he also created his very own art book call "Violent Fridays"). Peter use to work under Milenko Tunjic, another concept artist working in Brisbane who also attended the event tonight, and who is also good mates with Matt (funny that >_>), he also happens to have agreed to become a supervisor/mentor of mine for my honours degree.

Trying to make light conversation with a person you admire is a struggle for me, and as I was doing my best not to freak out at the fact that I was able to talk to Milenko, he ended up telling me that if my work didn't show any possible potential, he would have passed on supervising me (I forget exactly how the sentence was said, mainly because I was stuck in a surreal moment). Milenko's words, as well as talking to Peter Yong and Jim Woods (studio director for Sega/Creative Assembly International) brought my fire back. For the last few weeks I've been questioning my situation and whether the fields I wanted to get into were the fields I was going to be good at, which resulted in a drop of motivation, inspiration and general happiness. After tonight, I feel I can punch this year in the face, power through my work so that I can produce concept art that will help me in the long run.

Whew, now that I've got that off my chest, here's some stuff done for Dominance war, Illustration for design, and the game me and the boys are working on for Albert Sciamma:





Dominance War face ideas

1 comment:

  1. :)
    Found your blog again.
    I do not visit my own blog often (mostly when I post new stuff), and when I do, I suck at navigating around it. Also, I just figured out how to back-visit people who choose to follow me.
    Thanks for saying nice stuff about me and no need to freak out :)
    I am probably more insecure about my work than you are about yours.
    Good luck with your stuff and keep on drawing.
    A lot.
    Cheers to you and your art,
    Regards,

    Milenko

    ReplyDelete