Friday, March 11, 2011

Just to Begin...

I'm sure no matter what age you are or what country you live in, if you're reading this you've most likely played a game at least once in your life. Whether it was when you played Dungeons and Dragons way back in 1975, button-mashing trying in Street Fighter in the 90s, or having your bowls emptied from shear terror as you play Amnesia, I'm sure at some point you have also played a game which consisted of a boss fight/level of some sort. They can frustrate you to the point of never wanting to touch the game again, or become the bane of your existence, either way they can easily become part of a game's development to create a climax and add to the emotion of a story. In upcoming posts I'll be exploring the successful and unsuccessful boss levels in gaming history, both mainstream and indie games, why they did or didn't work out, how they were memorably good or bad, and how certain games can exclude a boss and still win over gamer's hearts.

While researching things, I will also be trying my hand at creating bosses and their environments as my accompanying project to my exegesis.

Although I realise there are a ridiculous amount of games that have been made and played, I will focus mainly on the memorable, the loved, the hated and the accoladed. And I will try my best to be accurate in my findings, if there is something that I have written that is incorrect, feel free to inform me without hurling abuse ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment